  [Drop the xrootd list explicitly to see if RT stops sending multiple copies
   of mails...]

  Hi unix-admin,

  I forgot about proofd, so I'd like to amend my request. Is it possible
to ask Redhat to add the following lines:

proofd          1093/tcp                        # ROOT PROOF daemon
proofd          1093/udp                        # ROOT PROOF daemon
rootd           1094/tcp                        # ROOT daemon
rootd           1094/udp                        # ROOT daemon

to the default /etc/services file which they distribute in RHEL? Both ports
are registered with IANA. (Since you pay them to listen to your requests,
hopefully they will respond!)

                                 thanks,
                                   Pete

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 05:19:57PM +0100, Fons Rademakers wrote:
> Note that rootd and proofd are already in the /etc/services of upcoming
> Apple Tiger. There is no reason for RH not to deliver a complete
> /etc/service, what else is the use to register with IANA.
>
> -- Fons
>

> Peter Elmer via RT wrote:
> >  Hi Booker,
> >
> >On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:47:10AM -0800, Booker Bense via RT wrote:
> >
> >>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Peter Elmer via RT wrote:
> >>_ There is a standard registry for this kind of thing. Rootd is
> >>already registered. Vendors are supposed to include this in their
> >>OS ( or at least the ones below 1024 ).
> >>
> >>http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> >>
> >>_ In general vendors leave it up to sites to configure their
> >>application service ports. It might be a lot simpler just to
> >>hide the error message from the user.
> >

> >  Yes, Fons registered 1094 for rootd, so that is fine. What we really
> >need instead is to make sure that it gets into the actual /etc/services
> >file distributed by Redhat (i.e. that they distribute an /etc/services
> >file coherent with the IANA list). For this, my question was whether SCS
> >could ask the Redhat people to add it. Presumably they either manage
> >themselves the /etc/services file they distribute or have contact with the
> >person who does. Since access to (x)rootd is now standard for BaBar (and
> >relatively widespread in HEP) and the redhat /etc/services does seem to
> >try to be relatively complete instead of just listing true core unix
> >services, it seems worthwhile to pursue this with Redhat.
> >
> >  [Here we go on the RT duplicate-all-mails game...]
> >
> >                                 thanks,
> >                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland