  Hi Jerome,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 02:00:03PM -0500, Jerome LAURET wrote:
> > AFAIK, there is no simple directive or soft link trick for that. The
> > best bet is the cache filesystem, see the mps/cache-filesystem doc:
> >
> > http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu/doc/mps_config/mps_config.htm
>
> 	... and as far as I understand the presence of multiple
> disks on one node along with purge/migration and MPS component
> is possible (??!) In your figure /kanga and /cache0, /cache1 etc ..
> is /kanga "populated" by links to the cache(s) ??

  Yes, exactly.

  Note that the naming convention used by the mps scripts for the files in
the cache file systems is different from the name in the namespace portion
(i.e. the name visible to users). I think RAL had to go through the same
type of transition (they were nfs exporting the individual filesystems, IIRC)
and used the mps scripts to effectively rename/mv the existing files in the
cache partitions to the "%dir1%dir2%dir2%...%name" style naming with a soft
link in the "namespace" part actually exported by xrootd. (Chris Brew can
probably confirm/deny this.)

  Does that help?

> PS : Is there a problem in setting the Reply-to of this list to
>      be the list itself ?? I receive duplicate Emails for about
>      every post since poeople use 'Reply-all' to cope for Reply-to,
>      From discrepencies.

  This I can't answer.

                                   Pete

> Peter Elmer wrote:
>
> >Hi Jerome,
> >
> >On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:24:18AM -0500, Jerome LAURET wrote:
> >
> >>I beleive we asked how to do that at some point (hide the path
> >>arranegement) except that we could not figure out on how to mix
> >>/home and /data into a single substitution. Your case of
> >>oss.localroot /kanga and oss.remoteroot /kanga or /xrootd at SLAC
> >>ar a bit too convenient. Can we trick olb with soft-link or there
> >>is a simple syntax which can take care of all /data + /home (the
> >>path afterward is all and the same) ??
> >

> >I guess there is nothing special to differentiate the 4 partitions
> >{/data0, /data1, /data2, /home}? i.e. all files can in principle go
> >on any of the 4 partitions?
> >
> >AFAIK, there is no simple directive or soft link trick for that. The
> >best bet is the cache filesystem, see the mps/cache-filesystem doc:
> >
> >http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu/doc/mps_config/mps_config.htm
> >
> >What currently manages the data on those partitions? Has it just been
> > statically placed there or is it being actively managed/staged by
> >something? (SRM?)
> >
> >Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland