Hi JY,

Hmmm, it works out in practice that checking for the file every time in
HPSS significantly slows down the open process. That also would mean that
if HPSS is down, the disk cache becomes inaccessible since xrootd
can't check the hpss copy. Something we've decided to avoid here for
robustness reasons (there is already an option to check during file
creation).

The real problem here is that the person is using a backdoor to modify
the file. Had the user modified the file on the disk cache and let it
migrate back down, there would not be a problem. Using backdoors opens
a whole range of problems, only one of which the user experienced.

I'm not opposed to putting in an option to do the check but I think
serious consideration needs to be given whether this is *really* the
mode of operation you want or will be happy with.

Andy