Hi, Andy!

> The real problem here is that the person is using a backdoor to modify
> the file. Had the user modified the file on the disk cache and let it
> migrate back down, there would not be a problem. Using backdoors opens
> a whole range of problems, only one of which the user experienced.

It should not be called a back door, it's a perfectly valid situation of
separation production from analysis. We do this all the time at SLAC. The
only difference is that we have read-only files, and this simplifies our
life a lot. Whether D0 user can do it our way really depends on how they
do their production. But I think that such function Jean-Yves described
should exists and be configurable for those who find it necessary.

Artem.