Hi Gregory,

> and then the user need to specify a collection name such as
>
> "/prod13/SP/R12/..."
Yes, unfortuantely, since the data is split off in separate name spaces, the
users need to differentiate by name space.

> Or another way is to have in one common place a link to almost each of the
> files on these 3 disks. But this is not an acceptable solution either.
Of course, the question is why this is not acceptable? This is how RAL,
IN2P3, and we do. The system automatically manages the symlinks so it's
really a no-brainer. It really simplifies everyone's life and is far more
scalable than doing and average of  n/2 probes every time you're looking for
a file (where n is number of filesystems).

Andy

> --
>
> What I'd need is to have collection names "/prod/SP/R12/..." and having
> xrootd searching transparently each of the directories without having to
> maintain a collection of links to each file.
>
>>> disk1/some_path/prod
>>> disk2/some_path/prod
>>> disk3/some_path/prod
>
> Cheers,
>   Gregory
>

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, abh wrote:
>
>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> Yes, now I remember. It's not an export issue but a local root issue. The
>> oss, as well as the rest of the system, can only apply a single local
>> root (by definition there can only be a single root). The way to get
>> around this problem is to:
>>
>> a) Determine what local root you wish to use (e.g., /x/y).
>> b) Create a directory in "/" of /x/y
>> c) Symlink all the directories from this directory using "root" names of
>> your choosing.
>>
>> Users would then specify the path less "/x/y" and would be directed to
>> the appropriate filesystem via the symlink. Does this make sense? Will it
>> work in your setup?
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory Schott" <[log in to unmask]>

>>> disk1/some_path/store
>>> disk2/some_path/prod
>>> disk2/some_path/store
>>> disk3/some_path/prod
>>> disk3/some_path/store
>>>
>>> So far I can only export one disk using:
>>>
>>> oss.localroot /home/xrootd/disk/kanga/EventStore/
>>> xrootd.export /prod