I have a r/w + MSS setup.

My little test from the ROOT shell:
root [0] File *f
=TFile::Open("root://redirector.cern.ch//tmp/xrootd/new.root","create")
root [1] TTree *t = new TTree("t","title")
root [2] t->Write()

Now I use another shell to execute this perl client command:
@ans = XrdClientAdmin::XrdRm("/tmp/xrootd/new11.root");

This succeeds and I can see, that the file was indeed erased from the
respective leaf node (and the cache and the MSS!), even though the other
client should have a lock on it!!!

Moreover, in my ROOT session I go happily on writing to the file:
root [3] TTree *t2 = new TTree("t2","title")
root [4] t2->Write()

(I can see on the leaf node log that it correctly acknowledges the bytes sent)

root [5] f->Close()

(here, too, I receive no errors upon closing and the leaf node log also shows
no peculiar entries.).

I try to open my file again, and I fail
root [0] File *f
=TFile::Open("root://redirector.cern.ch//tmp/xrootd/new.root","read")

(I can see that it has not been recreated!). Where have my bytes gone?

Background:
I'm trying to investigate how an external MPS (Migration, Purge, Staging)
script could interact with the xrootd system.

Cheers,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 10 07
LCG/ARDA Group                            email: [log in to unmask]