I (finally) found a bit of time to work on a
port of Xrootd to (native) InfiniBand, and a
proof-of-concept version is now sort of working, meaning
that I can now transfer files with xrdcp. If possible, I would
like to show first results with this version at the ACAT05
conference in Berlin in about 3 weeks from now.
I have a few questions to you:

1/ what would be meaningful benchmark for xrootd ?
   For the moment, I'm only using point-to-point transfers
   (remote read to /dev/null, mainly) which is a bit boring ...

2/ Is there a ready-to-use test suite that can/should be used ?

3/ I still have one problem with xrdcp. For the client I have added
a few lines of code in the XrdClientPhyConnection.cc which
initializes my InfiniBand connection, and bypasses the recv/write
calls. Everything works fine until the end. The Server log looks
like this:
050501 21:36:41 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrootdProtocol: 0000
req=3003 dlen=0
050501 21:36:41 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrootdFile: closing
r /tmp/testfile.dat
050501 21:36:41 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrootdProtocol: 0000 close
fh=0
050501 21:36:41 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrootdResponse: 0000 sending
OK
050501 21:36:44 5282 XrootdXeq: schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 disc 0:04:24
(link read error)
050501 21:36:44 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrdPoll: sending poller 0
detach for link 12
050501 21:36:44 5282 XrdPoll: Poller 0 detached fd 12 entry 1 now at 1
050501 21:36:44 5282 schwicke.17140:12@iwrcgop027 XrdPoll: FD 12 detached from
poller 0; num=0
For TCP/IP I see that the last recv request succeeds in the poll
command but ends with zero bytes of data, resulting in a ENOMSG return
code. For InfiniBand, this call simply times out, giving the above
link read error. A workaround would be to send a zero size message over the
InfiniBand link just before the connection is closed for good. I tried
to do that inside the XrdClientPhyConnection destructor, but that one
is never called in xrdcp. A side effect of this is that the resources
used by the InfiniBand connection need to be cleaned up and freed by the
driver resource tracking mechanisms. Where should this be done instead?

Thank's a lot in advance,
Ulrich

--
Dr. Ulrich Schwickerath
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe

Tel: +49(7247)82-8607
Fax: +49(7247)82-4972

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
PGP DH/DSS Key: ID 0xCEB9826F
Fingerprint: 5537 8473 CD26 507E 8EE2  BAAF 98E2 FD16 CEB9 826F