  Hi Chris,

  That seems like an ugly solution to me as then the scaling would still
be tied to the scaling of dCache. (And a simple file open would go through
two systems, with potentially two sets of problems to debug.) The solution
we've proposed a couple of times (relative to any system which wants to do
cache management) is that it simply expose the file name space on the disks.
Then xrootd just looks there. As I understood it, this is what Dan Bradley was
doing in Madison to use xrootd/olbd to serve the data imported via SRM into
dCache. He just put in the soft links by hand, but presumably one could do
better than that.

                                   Pete

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:35:28PM +0100, Brew, CAJ (Chris) wrote:
> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> I think the dCache-xrootd coupling could be made close enough that the
> extra overhead whould be minimal. I.e. the xrootd OFS and OSS layers
> would be replaced by a shlib that talks natively to the dCache server on
> the "door" and would stream the data straight out of dCache to the
> client. I think that's how it offers gsiftp access.
>
> Yours,
> Chris.

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland