Hmmm, some thoughts. It would be possible to layer xrootd on top of dCache
but that would mean displacing many of the things that dCache tries to do
(it essentially tries to do everything that xrootd does). The simplest
solution is to to do what Wisconsin did -- create symlinks with known
names to dCache files when the get staged in and then just run xrootd in a
normal fashion. Right now, I don't have plans to do that but if Wisconsin
wants to contribute the solution we could add it to the distribution.

In many ways JY is correct and that is why we are persuing an SRM
interface for xrootd. That doesn't completely solve the problem but does
allow for greater flexibility on what you deploy as the "back-end". Arie
Shoshani, Alex Sims, and I have laid the ground work to make this happen.

In the end, you can't easily mate with a system that insists on complete
control of the disk cache and all the servers that have access to it. At
least not without sacrificing most of the scaling and high performance
that xrootd provides. That's probably not what you want to hear but,
unfortunately, that's the reality.

Andy