It's loooking likely that dCache is going to be widely deployed
certainly in the UK and probably across LCG and I was thinking about how
this could be integrated with the xrootd deployment we have for use by
babar.

I can think of two (probably) fairly simple things that would be useful.

1) Enabling the dcap protocol in the KanAccess.cfg file. As far as I
know the dCache protocol dcap is built into root in the same way that
the xrootd protocol now is so if we can build file urls that start with
dcap:// or dcache:// we could access files directly from dcache.

2) Adding an xrootd door to dCache. This is obviously more complex but I
guess it would just mean replacing the ofs layer with something that
speaks to dCache rather than the filesystem. This would mean you could
get all the benefits of the xrootd protocol, scaling, redirection, load
balancing, fault tolerance, proxies, etc. with a dCache backend.

I know the second one has been discussed but are there any plans to
implement it? It would be particularly useful to us here at RAL (and, I
suspect, simmilarly the other European tier As) since we are deloying
large dCache installation for the LHC experiments which BaBar couold
then share.

Yours,
Chris.

--
  Chris Brew  ([log in to unmask])  +44 1235 446326
  Particle Physics Department