I forgot one thing:

> The discrepancy between a read of 512 bytes and 262144 bytes troubles
> me, but I may yet figure out how that came to be. The 468 byte
> difference in the offsets is also confusing me. Sigh.

  this discrepancy is normal, since you are using the caching/read
ahead. The point for me is if the latest version works correctly or not.
Anyway, we could discuss this evening at the xrootd meeting whether
keeping it on by default is a good idea or not. But first I'd like to
know if you were using the latest version.

Fabrizio