  Hi Stephen,

  Yes, it is true that we were able to run valgrind on the BaBar applications
and didn't see any timeouts which caused it to fail. (There may have been
some, I didn't try to look at that since it didn't fail.) Gregory, are you
saying that the connections fail completely?

  One difference between what Gregory is doing and what BaBar is currently
doing is that he is using the posix client while BaBar is using the TXNetFile
implementation. (In upcoming ROOT releases the TXNetFile client in ROOT will
be built from the posix client to simplify maintenance.)

                                   Pete

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 10:55:01AM -0700, Stephen J. Gowdy wrote:
> FWIW we've not noticeed these issues at SLAC with BaBar applications in
> valgrind. Not sure what the difference is.
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Gregory J. Sharp wrote:
>
> >Running valgrind on our data analysis application while accessing
> >xrootd found some problems in the error handling in XrdClient and a
> >few minor nits in XrdOuc. This message contains the suggested patches
> >to XrdOuc/XrdOucPthread.cc. The next email will contain a raft of
> >patches for XrdClient.
> >
> >One thing that troubles me is that by using valgrind, the protocol
> >fails completely, apparently because of timing issues. Connections
> >get torn down while we are in the poll call, waiting for a response
> >from the xrootd server. My best guess is that this is either a bug in
> >the protocol or a timeout issue. (My second-best guess is that
> >valgrind is broken, but since it works well enough most of the time,
> >I lean more towards my best guess.)

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland