  Hi Andy,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:57:38PM -0700, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
> My prediliction is that it's a timing issue since the timeouts are
> relatively short. It's also possible that valgrind has issues with a
> heavily threaded program. I know that gdb fails more often than not when
> confronted with a running xrootd.

  The client won't be heavily threaded, though, at least not like the server.
One of us should give it a try to see if we can repeat it.

> Now, as for the attached file. Could you tar the file up and then attach
> it? The reason is that the saved attachment gets linend characters
> appended to each line which makes diff and most anythig else I try to use
> on the file quite ineffective. Thanks.

  I imagine it is the M$ MUA that you are using that screws up the attachment
somehow for you. I've copied it here at SLAC:

  ~elmer/gs_20050815_XrdOucPthread.cc

Does that look okay?

                                   Pete

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Gregory J. Sharp wrote:
>
> > Running valgrind on our data analysis application while accessing
> > xrootd found some problems in the error handling in XrdClient and a
> > few minor nits in XrdOuc. This message contains the suggested patches
> > to XrdOuc/XrdOucPthread.cc. The next email will contain a raft of
> > patches for XrdClient.
> >
> > One thing that troubles me is that by using valgrind, the protocol
> > fails completely, apparently because of timing issues. Connections
> > get torn down while we are in the poll call, waiting for a response
> > from the xrootd server. My best guess is that this is either a bug in
> > the protocol or a timeout issue. (My second-best guess is that
> > valgrind is broken, but since it works well enough most of the time,
> > I lean more towards my best guess.)

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland