  Hi Andreas,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:09:30PM +0200, Andreas Petzold wrote:
> Peter Elmer wrote:
> >   Hi Andreas,
> >
> >   Note that SLAC no longer considers the RH72 machines secure. Are these
> > machines running RH72/RH73/RH8 _really_ being maintained with security
> > patches?
>
> well I hope they apply patches :-).

  Could you verify that this is true?

> > What do you consider their useful life to be?
>
> We need these servers (our good old NAS boxes) also for Objy. Of course
> we want to get rid of the old servers and the slow disks that are
> attached, but we need the disk space. So I guess we'll have these
> machines around for at least another 12 months if not longer.

  12 months is a _very_ long time. Personally I think you should
consider doing the SL migration, especially if the answer comes back
that the machines aren't being patched properly.

  [I am pushing mainly because break-ins on these machines are such a pain
in the butt and continuing to use RH7x or RH8 seems to me to be just asking
for trouble!]

                                 thanks,
                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland