Hi, Andy

the problem is not with Forte compiler in general, just with Forte version 7
and the way it handles templated classes (by putting separate object files in
special cache folders in the directory where the objects get created). This
results in lots of problems with libtool, because libtool moves object files
around (especially convenience libraries) and thereby the template objects
may get lost.
Also, I experienced a whole number of issues with multiply defined symbols,
deriving from libraries containing the same symbols deriving from templates.
In GNU and also in the newer Solaris compilers there are no such problems
(these symbols are defined as weak, and the linker is not disturbed by
multiple identical weak symbols).

There is no problem with the newer Forte compilers and I think the support for
Forte7 will run out soon. I had some discussions with the Authors of libtool
about this issue and I'm not sure whether you find many packages that are
complex and use templates. At least they told me that Solaris is one of the
"more difficult" systems.

But maybe you can give me some tips, I'm no Solaris expert. But I believe that
a nice autotools build is really something valuable, because it is such a
standard and it makes package building for many distributions so much easier.
(standard make targets, respects $prefix and $DESTDIR, automatic tarball
building and sanity check. Possibility to create multiple compiled versions
with different options/architectures all referring to the same sources
directories, configure script with standard behavior)

Cheers,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 10 07
LCG/ARDA Group                            email: [log in to unmask]