  Hi Fabrizio and Derek,

  I'm also not fond of the idea of a separate executable as in any case
then we are at the mercy of people using the correct one from any given
installation of xrootd. It would be somewhat cleaner if people always
just used 'xrd', whereever they are, and _if_ the command was linked
with MonaLisa monitoring support it uses it. I guess there is then the
question of how it knows whether and where to send the information (if the
support is linked). How would that have worked with the 'xrdmoncp' command?

  BTW, I'm still not sure what the _client_ side support for MonALISA
gives us that that the server side support would not (e.g. by reusing
the existing monitoring and simply allowing it to be redirected to
MonaLISA). Could you spell this out for me, Derek?

                                   Pete

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:35:38PM +0200, Fabrizio Furano wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
>  generally I don't like "special" executable targets. However, I have no
> objections if the idea is to move to a unique way when those libraries
> are available.
>
>  When I am out from the boring stuff I am on (very soon I hope) I will
> start with the developing of some new features. Obviously I'll not
> replicate modifications onto different code branches...
>
> Fabrizio
>
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 16:29 +0200, Derek Feichtinger wrote:
> > Ciao, Fabrizio
> >
> > We are using here a xrdcp with some added code for MonALISA monitoring of the
> > clients. It's just the normal client with quite some stuff in between #ifdefs
> > and it links against a MonALISA client library (libapmoncpp). The library is
> > unluckily snot yet available on the main site (no official download page for
> > that version yet. Catalin said he will include all the necessary changes in
> > the official MonALISA soon).
> >
> > For these reasons I would like to include it for now as a separate second
> > client called xrdmoncp in the XrdClients directory, that will only be built
> > when autotools detect the presence of the libapmoncpp library.
> > This way it's easy for users to detect whether a copy command with MonALISA
> > monitoring is available.
> >
> > Is this ok for you?
> >
> > Any others interested in this monitoring possibility?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Derek

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland