It looks like it does not like the '+=' construct to add a lib to a list.
I have found a vague reference to something like this on the web which
may indicate a problem with the version of automake.
Attached is a version of src/XrdClient/Makefile.a that avoids the '+='
constructs: it works for me on noric04: could you try it ?

Derek: do you have any experience with that?

Gerri