  Hi Derek,

  I downloaded:

shire04> ls -l
total 9788
-rw-r--r--   1 elmer    ec       1236359 Dec 16  2003 autoconf-2.59.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 elmer    ec        984894 Jul 10 13:37 automake-1.9.6.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 elmer    ec       2789331 Oct 18 19:41 libtool-1.5.20.tar.gz

and after doing:

setenv PATH /afs/slac.stanford.edu/package/sunworkshop/9/SUNWspro/bin:$PATH

(to get the newer compiler at SLAC) I built autoconf, automake and then
libtool on a sol9 machine. The autotools commands seem to work:

shire04> aclocal
shire04> automake -a
configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `./missing'
src/Xrd/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
configure.ac:47: installing `./config.guess'
configure.ac:47: installing `./config.sub'
configure.ac:439: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
shire04> libtoolize --force
shire04> autoconf
shire04>

but configure still complains:

checking for main in -lapmoncpp... no
configure: WARNING: libapmoncpp not found. I Will not build xrdmoncp!
<...>
configure: WARNING: tests for krb4 failed. Disabling krb4 support
<...>
configure: WARNING: tests for krb5 failed. Disabling krb5 support
<...>
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: Makefile.in

  Do you have any guess what might be wrong? My (newer) autotools install
at SLAC is here:

  /afs/slac.stanford.edu/u/ec/elmer/work3/autotools/bin

                                 thanks,
                                   Pete

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:47:16AM +0200, Derek Feichtinger wrote:
> Ciao, Fabrizio
>
> This is what I mentioned in my first migration mail to the list. You need
> reasonably new versions of the autotools (libtool should be very new to
> correctly produce files which work on Macs).
>
> ------------------------------
> > To use the new autotools build:
> > You should install automake > 1.6, autoconf-2.59 and libtool 1.5.18 on your
> > system.
> -------------------------------
>
> Best you get them as tarballs from the GNU site. They build very fast (first
> get Autoconf, then Automake and then libtool). The Solaris machines at SLAC
> seem to have really ancient versions which have been out of use for several
> years (early versions of Autoconf required a configure.in file. Now this has
> been renamed configure.ac to prevent confusion with the files on which
> configure acts, which are all named *.in)
>
> Cheers,
> Derek
>

> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 11.34, you wrote:
> > Hi, thank you.
> >
> > One more question. Is there anything special I have to do to work under
> > Solaris?
> > For instance, aclocal fails on shire02 at slac from a fresh checkout, it
> > says that it needs a configure.in file. From a Linux machine (noric02)
> > instead it works fine.
> >
> > Any hint?
> >

> > Fabrizio
> >
> > Derek Feichtinger wrote:
> > > Hi, Fabrizio
> > >
> > > Take a look at the Makefile.am in the XrdClient directory:
> > >
> > > If you want to recourse into subdirectories, you just add a
> > >
> > > SUBDIRS = dir1 dir2 dir3
> > >
> > > statement.
> > >
> > > Build targets in automake are specified via directives like
> > >
> > > bin_PROGRAMS = myprogram1 myprogram2
> > >
> > > The prefix (bin) defines where the file will be installed, the type
> > > (PROGRAM) defines what kind of targets should be built.
> > >
> > > There is a special prefix "check". This specifies targets that will never
> > > be installed and that get only built when a "make check" is given. This
> > > is specially designed for tests that are run after the initial build to
> > > check the package's sanity.
> > > The variable TESTS hold the name of the tests to be run.
> > >
> > > "Info Automake" should provide you with quite some information as well as
> > > the autobook (chapter 7.7):
> > > http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html
> > >
> > > I can gladly help you to get started if you have specific questions.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Derek

> --
> Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 10 07
> LCG/ARDA Group                            email: [log in to unmask]
> CERN                                    http://people.web.psi.ch/feichtinger
> CH-1211 Genève 23

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland