here the recipe I would like to propose to address the hadronization
uncertainty using the infromation contained in the data:

1) a) Measure the data-MC agreement concerning multiplicity in the recoil
      for the depleted sample.
      Under the assumption that we understand the physics, i.e. the
      production of charm in semileptonic decays we can assign any
      difference between data and MC to e.g. beam background.

   b) If one does not trust the MC concerning the production of high mass
      charmed states one could do the same for only D(*)lnu candidates
      which are consistent with a semileptonic decays.
      Any remaining additional particles contain information about things
      like beam background.

2) Knowing this kind of data-MC difference one can then make a data-MC
   comparison for the signal enhanced sample. Any significant difference
   observed in the multiplicity between data and MC are related to the
   hadronization model.
   Of course one should study this by varying the BF's for the exclusive
   modes in the MC.

3) To take possible differences into account one could then apply a
   reweighting of the MC as it is done by Kerstin for the unfolding.
   The systematic error which would then be quoted is driven by the
   statistical error on the multiplicities measured on (mainly) data.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Heiko