Hi, Fabrizio

#2:
I will put in place a configurable path similar to the other ones. If no
directive is given it can try to deduce it from the environment or from a
list of common install directories.
I also wanted to clean up some of the makefiles to have a more uniform
structure.

I think the building of the library should be a configure option (default=off)

Cheers,
Derek