	When our LDAP proxy and load balancing where screwed
up, authentication would fail with a different message. Don't
ask me why [I have not looked in details code-wise]. Message
stack would be like this (as an example):

> SysError in <TFile::TFile>: file
> root://rcas6242.rcf.bnl.gov//data1/starlib/reco/ppProduction/FullField/P05if/2005/175/st_physics_6175020_raw_2030009.MuDst.root
> can not be opened for reading (No such file or directory)
> or
> Info in <TAuthenticate::Authenticate>: failure: list of attempted
> methods: UsrPwd
> Error in <TAuthenticate::Authenticate>: can't get passwd info (last
> error only; re-run with gDebug > 0 for more details)
> Error in <TPSocket::Authenticate>: authentication failed for
> Error in <TFTP::TFTP>: can't open connection to rootd on host
> rcas6238.rcf.bnl.gov at port 1094
> Error in <TFile::TFile>: file
> root://rcas6238.rcf.bnl.gov//home/starlib/reco/ppProduction/FullField/P05if/2005/175/st_physics_6175020_raw_2030006.MuDst.root
> does not exist

	Of course, retrying later would work as well. This
was 100% reproduceable (i.e. we got constantely 50% failure)
until the proxy setup was revisited. How this relates to
Xrootd is another story but at its basic, even a /bin/id
would fail with the infamous message "cannot find name for
group ID XXX" ... so, speculation at that stage are kind of
shooting in the dark (as you point our Andy, this indicates
a completely screwed up infrastructure in the first place).
So, let's not speak about this for now ... Would fail also
for rootd (no "x").

	We should forget I even mentionned it but perhaps
something to keep in mind.

	We still have a 3% failure (like the above) and
some of those are this new reported issue. More posting
on it.

--
              ,,,,,
             ( o o )