The compile time variable, by the way, is ARG_MAX
(which really is a value for exec that has to contain
both the arguments for the program, and the environmental
space - on *some* implementations).

For Linux the value seems to be around 128K (although
the POSIX max is 4096, and some things that are POSIX
compliant may like that limit better).  Solaris
is bigger (being ~1M for for 32bit, ~2M for 64bit).

Obviously, portability and large environmental variable
set requirements are not entirely compatible.

And, of course, it is possible that unicode compatibility
means you get less than half that (for 2 byte character
sets).  Have not tested this though.

Gary