This is a message from BNL about what they are doing that I thought people may want to know about, and perhaps to subscribe to their mailing list for similar items.

________________________________

From: John Halperin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thu 2/16/2006 9:30 AM
To: Young, Charles C.
Cc: security; atlas-sccs-planning-l
Subject: Re: FW: [Usatlas-users-l] dual-core Opteron evaluation server

Charlie,

> An Altus 1300 with two, dual-core Opteron 265 with 4 GB of
> RAM and over 600 GB of SATA local disk storage is now
> available to ATLAS users. The OS on this server is the 32-bit
> Scientific Linux 3.0.3, and it supports official ATLAS software.

I'm new to the atlas-sccs-planning-l list, so I may be missing
some context here.  But SL 3.0.3 is a couple of versions out-of
date.  Unless it's current with at least security patches, we
wouldn't want such a machine at SLAC.

--
John Halperin      <[log in to unmask]>
SLAC Computer Security Team (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)