Thanks (I noticed the location).  But I think John's concerns
may still be valid in the long term.  Atlas sites (and the
other experiements, for that matter) will, in the long term,
need to upgrade the OS many many times over the life of the
experiment, and each "grid" site will have their own "required"
levels of software (for functional, security, operational,
staffing reasons).  What is the plan (is there a plan?)
to quickly certify each analysis site's level of software?
BaBar has a method that works (more or less) because there
are only a few sites involved with the "heavy lifting" of
the analysis.  With the "grid", it seems it will be (essentially)
impossible to dictate a small number of variations, and
with (for example) each university deciding on their own
distro (I hear Stanford has chosen Ubuntu), and their own
software levels, how will the experiment "certify" those
sites unique distinctiveness (and add it to the Atlas "grid")?

Gary (Troublemaker) Buhrmaster