  recently there have been massive commits linked to the upcoming
porting projects.

  Hence, I cannot exclude that some bug was introducted. Maybe this is
not the right moment for me, but I'll try to reproduce your problems.
Can you please send to me some logs showing the problem?

> BTW, if the client is redirected, how is the opaque data (if present)
> encoded in the request message when re-opening the file on the data
> server?

  When I implemented and tested that stuff I remember that the policy
was to preserve everything. There should be a thread here dealing with
those topics.