Hi, Fabrizio

I best describe, what context led me to the initial question:

I'm just preparing a little script to produce and distribute files over a
range of hosts running xrootd (for PROOF tests). If a host cannot be
contacted (e.g. nox xrootd running there) I do not want long timeouts, so the
script should just remove the host from the list after a few seconds and try
to place the file on the next host. But I do not want these timeout settings
to apply to other file accesses (I can easily live with a host that is down,
but not with a critical file that needs to be read). I do not want to use a
redirector setup for this, because I want to control where a file is placed.

Cheers,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 56 310 47 33
AIT Group                               email: [log in to unmask]