  Hi Alessandra,

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 05:49:41PM +0100, Alessandra Forti wrote:
> I got an xrootd server working and I've tested it with babar Kan utils.
> Is there another more generic way to test it? Like for example
> interactive access with root? I'm slightly confused by the babar
> applications... Do I need something like KanAccess.cfg also in a generic
> environment? Do I need to give a different name to the path on each node?

  No, the KanAccess.cfg stuff is completely separate from xrootd, it
is just what in CMS we now call a "trivial file catalog" that maps
LFNs to PFNs. When you are talking talking to xrootd you already
have some PFN of the forum:

    root://host:port/x/y/z/filename

  To test xrootd you could do things from the ROOT prompt if you
are using ROOT files (highly probable, of course) with something like:

myfile = TFile::Open("root://host:port/x/y/z/file.root");
myfile->ls();

or you can use the xrootd tool xrdcp (for example) for any time of file:

xrdcp root://host:port/x/y/z/filename .

There is also xrdadmin, but that is more complex for a simple test. (And
not yet well documented, and perhaps not fully tested.)

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland