Hi Fabrizio and Andreas,

The stat request already tells you whether the file is readable or
writable. In the xrootd world information beyond that is somewhat
ephemeral as the server owns all the files and access permissions do not
fit into the normal Unix framework. I say that because access persmissions
are determined by the authorization plugin (or in Alice's case, the
filesystem plugin). So, permissions are relative to the person making the
request and can only be represented externally by a yes/no indication.

The chmod was put in strictly to control overall read or read/write access
for everyone and really wasn't meant to be useful in the "Unix" way.
Chown was never put in since it didn't make any sense.

It's important to realize that xroot does not present a traditional
filesystem and will never be able to do so (well, at least not without
sacrificing performance).

Andy