Uhm,

  don't be sorry please. I missed that, so I am sorry...

  I gave a look at the protocol, and I agree with you. It seems that
there is no way of getting the current access mode for a file. Well, I
totally ignore what is it for in your case, since the files typically
are owned by the server.

  Anyway, if it does make sense, we could speak about adding some info
to the stat response or a new request symmetrical to chmod. From my
point of view there is not much effort, since I have to add something
tothe interface in the next days. Andy, what do you think?

Fabrizio