On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Antonio Petrella wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I've run again two fit tests, one with the ratio signal/peaking
> bkg fixed (only on data, this time) and one without fixing the ratio.
>
> Results can be found here:
>
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/scra/Ibutest_fixed/
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/scra/Ibutest_SUN/
>
> General comments:
>
> -comparing the right lower plot (which contains the sum of Bch and B0
> for data)
>
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/scra/Ibutest_fixed/test_fixeddatachop_all-1.eps
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/scra/Ibutest_SUN/test_SUNdatachop_all-1.eps
>
> we see that the effect of fixing the ratio is to increase the
> distribution in the low mx region ( 1.55 < mx < 2.1) and to decrease in
> the high mx region (mx > 2.8 ).
>
> So we looked with more attention to fits performed bin by bin to compute
> the correction factor and...:
>
> - the fit in the high mx region for MC depleted has peaking background
> consistent with 0
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/AWG38/depleted/MCsameEND/MCfit_1D_3.103.40.eps
>
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/AWG38/depleted/MCsameEND/MCfit_1D_3.403.70.eps
>
> moreover in the Enriched MC the signal and the peaking components are
> swapped for 3.1 < mx < 3.4!
This bin is indeed special in the sense that the fit error on the ratio
sig/peakBG is much smaller than the ones in the neighbourhood and that
the ratio has a minimum there. I would think that an average over a larger
mX range would be more appropriate. The question is how to define these
larger ranges.

> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/AWG38/enriched/MC/MC_enrich_1D_3.103.40.eps
>

> - in the low mx region the increase in the mx distribution is due to the
> behaviour of the double ratio (sig/peak)_DATA/(sig/peak)_MC, where the
> numerator and denominator go in the opposite direction i.e.: for MC the
> ratio is small while for data is high, so the net effect of the double
> ratio is to give a high correction.
>
> But fits on MC present clearly some problems: look at
>
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/AWG38/depleted/MCsameEND/MCfit_1D_1.551.90.eps
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~petrella/tmp/AWG38/depleted/MCsameEND/MCfit_1D_1.902.20.eps
Do these fits correspond to to the two bins where we have the larger
correction from the double-ratio?

Heiko