Hi Fabrizio,

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Fabrizio Furano wrote:

>   Issue 1:
> suppose that you have a cache file system with 2 dirs, where you want to
> write:
>
> oss.cache public /kanga/prd1
> oss.cache public /kanga/prd2
>
> it seems that if one directory of the cache file system is not writable
> (e.g. prd1 by mistake) the data server can choose to use it anyway,
> causing problems. It should detect this and choose the other one.
Yes, specifying a r/o cache makes little sense. I will have to look to see
if I can actually determine this is r/o and issue a warning and remove
that cache specification from the config.

>   Issue 2:
> let's suppose that we want 2 cache file systems in a data server, to
> avoid the "flat" allocation made by the server. Here is an example:
>
> oss.cache skm /kanga/skm1
> oss.cache skm /kanga/skm2
> oss.cache prd /kanga/prd1
> oss.cache prd /kanga/prd2
> xrootd.export /prod
> xrootd.export /skim
>
> The config documentation says (or, at least I understand from it) that
> you can pass (through the open request) the oss.cgroup directive via
> opaque information specifying the cache group you want to write to.
> Well, we were unable to make it write /prod to the cache group "prd". It
> seems that the server always arbitrarily chooses the cache directory it
> wants between all the entries.
That can be a bug as you are the first one to try this. I will have to
look at this. Does debug output show anything?

> Anyway, even if we make it work, or even if we understand why we were
> not able to, the best solution possible imho would be to associate a
> cache group to an exported directory, maybe in the xrootd.export directive.
That would be another way of doing this.

> e.g. with directoves like:
>
> xrootd.export /prod prd
> xrootd.export /skim skm
Actually, I am in the process of merging the oss.path directive with the
export directive so that all paths need to be specified only once. So, I
would probably do something ling "cg gname" or something lik that.

> it could be possible to tell to the server to use the cache group "prd"
> to write /prod data, and the cache group "skm" to write /skim data,
> avoiding the fact that the files inside the cache fs are put all together.
Yes.

Andy