Is there a list of ATLAS Tier 1 and 2 sites such that we could set up a web page showing connectivity, round-trip-time, loss, jitter to those sites from SLAC, CERN & BNL?

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yang, Wei
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:16 PM
To: atlas-sccs-planning-l
Subject: Tier 2 web page

I discussed with Len about the Tier 2 web page. The issue can be divided into two areas: content management tools and Tier 2 content. Here is a summary. any comment?

Content management tools:

A static page is good at the beginning. In the near future, we might want to look at the possibility of using Plone, which is a Wiki-like tool but provides more features.

Tier 2 content:

The discussion focused on the needs of 'local users'. But now I am not so sure if this is correct. I will add what I think about the needs of grid users at the end.

Notification
*) Outage, major changes
*) Events

How to obtain computer accounts for SLAC Tier 2
*) Unix account + e-mail account, prefer to send e-mail to users' home
    institutes.
*) Full SLAC accounts (unix, e-mail, Windows/exchange, link to existing
    page)
*) Procedures to obtain accounts (discussion: PI -> Charlie ->
    HelpDesk ?)

SLAC Tier 2 Facilities
*) SLAC computing environment, short text and a link to existing one.
*) Security page, a link to existing page.
*) Public machines
*) Setup Atlas environment, links to Stephen's page and Atlas workbook
*) Disk space
       in general
       AFS related issues
       Atlas space areas
*) Batch
       LSF documents
       Commands to submit Atlas jobs to SLAC LSF farm
       LSF resources available to Atlas local users

Data Availability
*) DQ2 browser and space (Panda monitoring page)
*) How to bring in and transfer out datasets (discussion: do we allow a
    local user to do this?)

Helps
*) HyperNews at CERN
*) Other contact info

Userful Links
Grid users should not need much info about us. I am thinking to start with the following:

*) Outage, major change, events.
*) How to obtain a certificate/account for grid jobs to SLAC
    including limitations of SLAC grid accounts.
*) Data availability (see above for local users)
*) Submit jobs via Panda, a link to BNL
*) HyperNews at CERN for discussion
*) BNL RT (for Western T2) for Tier 2 related help
*) Panda page/DQ2 page for various statistics.
*) Ganglia monitoring in the future?

--
Wei Yang  |  [log in to unmask]  |  650-926-3338(O)