Hi Charlie,
  It should always work at least that for each user after account is created, to send an E-mail to a designated person to ask for granting the access manually. If we ask the account creation process to automatically grant the NFS atlas group priviledge if the new user specified affilication as ATLAS, I believe it saves work and approval waiting time for everyone by eliminating one manual step which everyone has to take anyway. We can still put same note on the SLAC environment page to say that in case you cannot access the work area, send an E-mail to the designated person for which hopefully only a small fraction of people need to go through that.
Su Dong