Nobu,

	I concur with your concern about the unfortunate tone of this
article. I hope that it does not represent anything other than the
opinion of the (somewhat misguided) author. The ILC is about doing
science in an international collaboration. It is not a mechanism for
one region to attain dominance in particle physics. But you would not
know this from the article. I am sorry that it was written with such
a nationalistic tone.

Gerry

On Aug 9, 2006, at 6:41 AM, N.Toge wrote:

> Dear Norman,
>
>> Popular Science Magazine has an article on the ILC
>> titled "Can This Machine Rescue Physics?". Read it
>> at:
>
> Thank you for circulating a pointer to the article above.
>
> I have read with it great curiosity.
>
> I have to say, however, that I am thoroughly disappointed by
> this article.
>
> The article certainly introduces ILC as our foremost,
> greatest adventure of physics research in the 21st century.
> However, it completely stops short of explaining the context
> of this keyword "International", in the sense that it
> totally fails to refer to the international efforts and
> collaboration including those from European and Asian nations.
>
> Consequently, this article makes it sound like US HEP needs this
> "International" LC for its (US HEP) own survival, yet it
> (US HEP) is utterly indifferent of what the rest of the world
> would do or would not do in such circumstances. The way Norman
> Augustine is quoted is making him sound like US does not want
> to work with the rest of the world unless it being THE leader.
> IMNSHO, this is a very efficient way for ILC for US to start
> falling into the pattern of SSC.
>
> I dearly hope that the colleagues in US HEP actually do
> not feel the way outlined in this article, and take adequate
> and decisive actions to make the tone of "our push towards ILC"
> into internationally, politically and gobally a more correct
> one.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> - Nobu Toge (KEK, Accelerator Lab)
>   email: [log in to unmask]