Dear Nobu Toge-san,

For a 'better' and perhaps more relevant idea about how many US colleagues feel, please read the attached article written by Harold Shapiro (published in the APS newsletter last month) http://www.aps.org/apsnews/0706/070616.cfm  I highlighted a particularly interesting paragraph.

Marc Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of N.Toge
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:41 AM
To: Graf, Norman
Cc: lcd-l
Subject: Re: ILC in Popular Science

Dear Norman,

> Popular Science Magazine has an article on the ILC titled "Can This
> Machine Rescue Physics?". Read it
> at:

Thank you for circulating a pointer to the article above.

I have read with it great curiosity.

I have to say, however, that I am thoroughly disappointed by this article.

The article certainly introduces ILC as our foremost, greatest adventure of physics research in the 21st century.
However, it completely stops short of explaining the context of this keyword "International", in the sense that it totally fails to refer to the international efforts and collaboration including those from European and Asian nations.

Consequently, this article makes it sound like US HEP needs this "International" LC for its (US HEP) own survival, yet it (US HEP) is utterly indifferent of what the rest of the world would do or would not do in such circumstances. The way Norman Augustine is quoted is making him sound like US does not want to work with the rest of the world unless it being THE leader.
IMNSHO, this is a very efficient way for ILC for US to start falling into the pattern of SSC.

I dearly hope that the colleagues in US HEP actually do not feel the way outlined in this article, and take adequate and decisive actions to make the tone of "our push towards ILC"
into internationally, politically and gobally a more correct one.

Sincerely,

- Nobu Toge (KEK, Accelerator Lab)
  email: [log in to unmask]
  voice: +81-29-864-5224