In PROOF we realized that we need a possibility to query exact locations
of a set of files. As far as I have seen in the xrootd protocol, there
is no way to ask for locations of a vector of files.

At the beginning of a query, we want to check exact locations of all the
files form a data set. The current implementation does it by opening all
the files, one by one.
The speed is about 30 files/sec. For many queries, the lookup takes much
longer than the processing.
It is a critical problem for us.

The bool XrdClientAdmin::SysStatX(const char *paths_list, kXR_char
*binInfo) method can check multiple files but it only verifies whether
the files exist.
I imagine that it would be best for us to have something similar but
returning file locations. Is such an extension to the protocol
possible/reasonable to implement?

Cheers,
Jan