We have added a group capability to IEPM-BW and used it to add an LHC-ATLAS group that selects just LHC-ATLAS paths to be shown.  If you go to http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/iepm-bw.slac.stanford.edu/slac_wan_bw_tests.html then click on LHC-ATLAS in the Monitoring Groups column on the right, or more directly http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/iepm-bw.slac.stanford.edu/LHC-ATLAS.slac_wan_bw_tests.html. The groups are also available at the other monitoring sites BNL, Taiwan, Caltech and CERN (but not FNAL).

A next step is to add very simple monitoring of the US-ATLAS tier 2 sites, by simple I mean ping and traceroutes. For these sites I am looking at Harvard, Chicago, Indiana, UTA, Oklahoma, Univ of New Mexico, Langston U, LBL.  Of these I do not have a host at Univ of New Mexicon that I can ping, I have tried www.unm.edu and a couple of others but they are filtered.  If you care about UNM then I will need someone to contact the contact there to get ping and traceroute access to a host there.

-----Original Message-----
From: Young, Charles C.
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:45 PM
To: Cottrell, Les; Su, Dong; Yang, Wei; atlas-sccs-planning-l
Cc: iepm-l; Young, Charles C.
Subject: RE: Tier 2 web page

Hi Les,

Some very late comments...

We can drop UCSD. It is not part of ATLAS. [I assume we are talking here only about the Tier 2 web page here, not the overall list of sites to monitor. That should of course have UCSD.]

> added, plus BNL & CERN. Are there others?

It may be interesting to add the so-called western community, i.e. the people who are mentioned in our T2 proposal:

	LBNL (you have that already)
	UCSC
	Irvine
	Oregon
	Washington
	Arizona
	Wisconsin

> I can start with those.  Maybe later if there is interest I can add
> other country Tier 1 & 2s.
>
> I need hosts at those sites that will respond to pings.
> Typically I use the web server. However pings  are often blocked.
> Looking at the web servers Univ Texas at Arlington (www.uta.edu), Univ
> of New Mexico (www.unm.edu) and LBL
> (www.lbl.gov) all block pings, the others are OK.  For LBL I can use
> ns1.lbl.gov, and for Univ Texas at Arlington I can use ns1.uta.edu. So
> I need someone to give me the name of a host at UNM that is always up
> and responds to pings.  Do you have a contact I can work with?
>
> Currently we do not monitor any of these sites (we do monitor SDSC
> which is on the UCSD campus) using PingER (see
> http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/pinger/), so we will need to add
> them to the list of hosts to be monitoted and also assign an ATLAS
> group to them. We could also add making traceroutes to them at 10 min
> intervals to assist in diagnosing problems/events.  The goal if we do
> this is to enable long term tracking and visualization of simple
> performance measures between SLAC and the other sites. This can be
> very valuable for detecting when something changed to see if it
> correlates with a user perception of degraded performance. We are also
> working on detecting anomalous events on the end-to-end paths by
> analyzing the time series for changes.  We will be looking for
> persistent events as opposed to momentary changes in performance due
> to say congestion. Apart from complete loss of connectivity, due to
> the low frequency of measurements (at 30 minute intervals in order to!
>   limit
> network load) the events (step changes in performance seen in the time
> series) will be detected several hours after they occur. Emails can be
> sent to interested paries. Once we have some results (e.g.
> measurements going back a month or so, then we can add a pointer to
> the SLAC ATLAS Tier 2 web site.
>
> There is an ATLAS group already for PingER. It includes: BNL, UCSD,
> CERN, TRIUMF, ITEP (Russia), RAL, LFN.INFN among others. One way to
> view the existing results is to go to
> http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/pingtable.pl?file=p
> acket_loss&by=by-node&size=100&tick=monthly&from=WORLD&to=ATLA
S&ex=none&dataset=hep&percentage=any  One can choose other metrics (RTT, loss etc.) > from there plus other time ticks (aggregated hourly, monthly,
> daily etc.) for the data, monitoring sites and remote sites or groups
> of sites.

Many sites on this page are not ATLAS, e.g FNAL, Caltech. I guess someone decided it would be interesting to ATLAS people to monitor them? Ah, maybe these sites belong on the "World" side of "ATLAS seen from World". Cheers.

					Charlie