 	Dear colleagues,

 	this e-mail is to inform you that we will start having
 	regular bi-weekly meetings of the Silicon Detector (SiD)
 	Benchmarking group, and to invite you to participate.
 	As many of you know, some of the goals of the benchmarking
 	effort include:

1) in conjunction with the detector subgroups, to develop a good
    quantitative understanding of what performance each subsystem
    must deliver to achieve the physics goals of the ILC;
2) to initiate physics analyses for a series of critical benchmark
    measurements that document the overall physics performance of SiD,
    and that can be used in the global optimization of the detector
    design;
3) to incorporate in the physics analyses as realistic a description
    of the SiD detector and background processes as possible, and to
    upgrade analysis results to include full Monte Carlo simulations
    as they become available.

 	It is expected that this group will play a major role in
 	benchmarking SiD's physics performance for the upcoming
 	Conceptual Detector Report (CDR), which ideally should
 	become available in **only** ~1.5 years from now.

 	By having regular meetings we are hoping to significantly
 	increase and more effectively support and coordinate the
 	benchmarking effort, in order to face the challenges ahead.

 	Our first meeting will be **next week** at Fermilab:

 	Tuesday September 19, 2006
 	11:00 AM - 1:00 PM (CDT)
 	Fermilab (Racetrack, WH7X0)

 	Video-conferencing will be provided via adhoc IP:

Adhoc video: 88sidb (887432),
Adhoc telephone: dial 1-510-883-7860 followed by 887432#

 	Please find a preliminary agenda here:

http://ilcagenda.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=1136

 	from which talks will be linked before the meeting.

 	In this meeting we will give an overview to the existing
 	benchmarking analyses within SiD, and start making plans
 	towards a coherent and comprehensive program of studies
 	for the CDR, to which we very much hope many of you will
 	be able to contribute.

 	Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have
 	any questions or suggestions.

 	Sincerely,

 			Tim Barklow ([log in to unmask])
 			Aurelio Juste ([log in to unmask])

 	P.S. We apologize if you receive this e-mail multiple
 	times. This will be avoided very soon, once we set up
 	an internal mailing list. Please let us know if you
 	would like to subscribe to it.

*    Aurelio Juste                 [log in to unmask]             *
*    Fermilab                      Tf:  (630)840-6565 (D0)    *
*    P.O. Box 500, MS 357          Fax: (630)840-8481         *
*    Batavia, IL 60510                                        *
*    U.S.A.                                                   *