Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:55:25 +1000 (EST)
From: Phillip Urquijo <[log in to unmask]>
To: Heiko Lacker <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: D** re-weighting

Hello Heiko,

For the D** component of the MC we make use of 1/mQ corrections to the
Isgur-Wise functions used to describe the differential decay rate of
B->D** l nu,  given in: A.K.Leibovich, Z.Ligeti, I.W.Stewart, M.B.Wise,
Phys. Rev. D57, 308(1998).  These models allow us to both; correct the w
(the dot product of the four velocity of the B meson, and that of the
recoiling D(
) meson) distributions of those produced using the Isgur-Wise functions in
the MC, and to provide bounds on the less well known broad resonant
branching fractions.  We use experimental constraints from the ratios:

R_(semileptonic) = BR(B->D1 l nu) / BR(B->D*2 l nu),  (mostly from
hep-ex/0112028 )
R_(hadronic)       = BR(B->D1 pi) / BR(B->D*2 pi) (using factorisation)
(K. Abe etal. BelleCollaboration, PRL94, 221805(2005): this paper also
provides mass measurements of the D** components)

as well as BR(B -> D1 l nu) and limits on BR(B->D*2 l nu) (PDG).  There
are 3 variables describing the corrections, which are additionally bound
by theoretical arguments.  The differential decay rates are calculated for
the components: D*0, D*1 (wide), and D1, D*2 (narrow).  There are five
models discussed in the theory paper, split into two groups, A group
(decay rates expanded in (w-1)), and B group (decay rates expanded in w).
The difference between the expansions is suggested to provide an estimate
of the theoretical uncertainty associated to the 1/mQ corrections.

We can determine bounds on the semileptonic ratios:
BR(B->D*1 l nu) / BR(B->D1 l nu),
BR(B->D*0 l nu) / BR(B->D1 l nu),
BR(B->D*2 l nu) / BR(B->D1 l nu),

Using these ratios in combination with BR(B -> D1 l nu), we determine the
BR for the remaining D** components.  We check for consistency with
BR(B->D(*)pi l nu) (D. Liventsev, T. Matsumoto et al, (The Belle
Collaboration), published in PRD 72, 051109(R) (2005)) and full
semileptonic rate measurements (HFAG), based on assumptions/measurements
of D** ->D pi pi decay rates (see K. Abe etal. BelleCollaboration, PRL94,
221805(2005)).

On a technical note, we used privately developed code by DELPHI (not
written by the author) written in fortran, to perform the differential
decay rate calculations.

Interestingly there are quite significant changes to the q^2
distributions. ( w = ( mB^2 + mD(*)^2 - q^2 )/( 2 mB mD(*) ).

Let me know if you would like more information/references.

Best Regards,
Phillip Urquijo