Hi all,

here is an update on the D** modeling with what I learned from David
Lange.

What I take from David's email below  is (please feel free to disagree
with my conclusions...):

*Request new SP5 and SP6 (D** only) to replace the D** in the generic:
This seems to work with a one-line-fix in the dec file for SP6, but not
for SP5 (since SP5 is release 12 if I am not mistaken. I am checking
with David to be sure.). I guess we would feel uncomfortable to use SP6-D**
for all our D** for the real analysis as far as detector response and
backgrounds are concerned.

*Produce our own truth MC to produce weights:
This should work fine if we can get EvtGen running in a release suitable
for SP6. We could produce all we want:
- SP8 by using David's switch
- SP6 as default
- SP5 by reverting the changes between SP5 and SP6 by hand
(We need to change the dec file and evt.pdl for this.)

I guess we should talk about this in the meeting tomorrow (I'll have to
leave at 9:25 am.).

Cheers,
Kerstin

Here is the actual email from David:

Hi Kerstin,

Sorry for the delay:

> Thanks, David!
>
> Please allow me to ask another technical question: So if we try to
> produce SP6-like D** (we are interested in the mass distribution
> of B->D**lnu, so I am sure we are affected by changes in the lineshape)
> and SP8-like D**, where do the two differ at the technical level,
> what do we need to pay attention to? Can the change between the
> two levels made at the dec-file level? (If so, starting with which
> tag of EvtGen does that work?) Or do we need two different
> version of the code (If so, which piece?)?

The fix in the default MC is between r18 releases and r14 releases. The
current sp6 release can be used to generate the buggy version and
'fixed' version by adding

SP6LSFix <particle name>

in the decay file.

In sp8, it is not possible to go back to the sp6 buggy shape. There is a
known residual problem in sp8 that may affect you described in

https://www.slac.stanford.edu/babar-internal/BMO/BbrMeetingOrganizer/meetingDetails.html?mtgnum=437[1]

Cheers-
  David

[1] https://www.slac.stanford.edu/babar-internal/BMO/BbrMeetingOrganizer/meetingDetails.html?mtgnum=437