Hi, Daniel!

> One advantage using xrootd for now is that I set up a custom xrootd/
> ibp server that any root client can use, with no configuration from

If you write a root plug in, users will not need to change their config as
well. They'll just use ibp:// or whatever url to open files.

> the user.  This may just be a temporary demo until root speaks SRM,
> then maybe root can directly read from any SRM server.

SRM is not really for this.
The best effort in this direction is GFAL, which ROOT also supports.
Yuo'll have to write a plugin for your storage in any case.

At this point,
> its still a demonstration and learning exercise, so we will look into
> a root plugin solution as well.

Good luck!

Artem.