Hi guys,

I am not sure that this is what Dan is trying to find. He would like to
integrate his IBP into xrootd, not xrootd into IBP. What I understand
from his email is to have a IBP as a underlying file system. I am not
quite sure, why he is trying to do it ? If he would like to take an
advantage of the load balancing, aggregation or something else, what is
done in xrootd in very efficient way.
Dan, can you tell us what are your expectations from it ?

There was a recent work of integrating Berkeley SRM (at this time, just
HRM) as a backend storage and I think, this what he would like to see.
Client has posix functions, but server not or I am not sure about them.
You can take a look at Andy's recent presentation at CERN of integrating
SRM into xrootd. There are slides explaining what you need to do, what
to extend etc.

http://indico.cern.ch/materialDisplay.py?contribId=s0t1&sessionId=s0&materialId=0&confId=a062357

In other words, you would like to extend server's side oss layer and
instead of file system calls, call your IBP io commands.
You cannot see the Berkeley SRM work on the latest version of server
which is available at the website.

As I said, I am not sure that this is what you are trying to do. So,
maybe, I am totally out of topic :-)

Cheers
Pavel

Fabrizio Furano wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  what JY says is correct, the only thing I want to add is that, since
> you are writing C/C++ code (it seems) you may directly use xrdclient,
> avoiding the posix wrappers which are built on it. Just have a look at
> XrdClient.hh for the public interface.
>
> Fabrizio
>

> Jean-Yves Nief wrote:
>> hello Dan,
>>
>> Daniel Engh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am from Vanderbilt University trying to hook up the
>>> Vanderbilt/UT-Knoxville  L-Store/IBP storage backend to xrootd.
>>>
>>> basically IBP is a bit-torrent like distributed data-storage system,
>>> LORS adds some file-system functionality analogous to inodes,  and
>>> the new Vanderbilt L-Store is an SRM complient meta-data layer on
>>> top of IBP.
>>>
>>> I have been playing with the latest development version of xrootd
>>> downloadable from the web:
>>> xrootd-20060523-1741.src.tgz
>>>
>>> I initially want to do a very simple file streaming test  of a root
>>> file on ibp.  I'm not an expert on posix i/o but I think I need only
>>> use my posix-complient methods:
>>>   int fd = xio_open(my_uri, O_RDONLY);
>>> and
>>>   xio_read(fd, buffer, bufsize)
>>>
>>> I need then 2 things from xrootd:
>>> 1. location of the posix i/o calls I should modify
>>> ie.  where is an xrootd posix open() call I can replace with xio_open()
>>> ie.  and then and xrootd posix  read() call I can replace with
>>> xio_read()
>>> 2. how do I launch xrootd to use my modified xrootd module