Hi Pete,

  about the perl intf compilation, I made some tests which suggest to me
that it is a compiler problem. Just switching compiler makes the
scenario change completely, from tons of errors to correct compilation.

g++-3.2.3 gives tons of errors on the swig-generated wrapper --> error
g++-3.3.5 does not understand a given option --> error
g++-3.4   considers the unrecognized option as a warning --> compiles ok
g++-4.1.1 the same

  I switched the compiler being used by modifiyng these two lines in
config/GNUmake.rules.gcc (I used configure.classic)

TYPECC     = g++-4.1.1
TYPELD     = g++-4.1.1

  However this is not a definitive solution, since it should be up to
the configure script to guess the correct compiler to use.

  Hence, IMHO we should just use a newer compiler. What do you think?

Fabrizio