It was suggested that we start monitoring skim usage at remote sites using the xrootd monitoring. At the moment we are transferring data from remote sites (RAL only at the moment) to SLAC using "slacmsg" program developed by SCCS group (Chuck). During short discussion few months ago (Pete, Andy, I) we thought it would be useful to switch to using xrdcp instead, mostly due to difficulties with including slacmsg into xrootd distribution. The only issue with xrdcp is that it may buffer data for a long period of time if there isn't enough data to be transferred. We concluded it would be useful to extend xrdcp and add timeout, so that we can be guaranteed that data will be delivered within a given period of time (~1 min would be reasonable). Could we discuss this issue at the next meeting - it would be good to use xrdcp technology for the remote sites that we will be adding to the monitoring system.

Thanks,
Jacek