Hi all,
> Of course, as already mentioned, this does not work in case of
> redirection. In that case one
> should probably use - as it has also been mentioned already- a xrootd in
> proxy mode, but I
> never tried by myself. Perhaps Andy could help in setting this up.

Yes, this is the main difference. Using the new SOCKS4 access everything
works even with redirections and remote redirectors...

Instead, if you simply build a tunnel between two ports (ssh -L), the
redirections cannot be done. This is why in the example I specified
kanolb-a.slac.stanford.edu, simply because now it works with no tweaks,
just an ssh session which in principle can be used by many clients.

The other point has to do with performance. By adding only a few lines
of code in XrdClient you would be able to set up a bunch of tunnelled
streams between two sites, and use them to make an arbitrary number of
clients communicate with remote clusters. The performance will be (in
the case of distant sites) proportional to the number of dynamic tunnels
you decide to have, provided that you enable a way to annihilate the
latency (i.e. read ahead or readv). This also will be compliant with the
upcoming multistream stuff, provided that you use the async readv
instead of the sync one, which is very simple.

Fabrizio