Hi Jan,

In the xroot world, the server assumes that it owns all the files. This
is normally a correct assumption. The problem here is that file somehow
has managed to get group read only and the server is not a memebre of the
group. The client permissions realy don't matter unless you've enabled
authorization (in the Alice world things are a bit different as
authorization is bundled with file open). You are correct that StatGen
should be return the true permission relative to the server. However, the
more pointed question is how the file got into the state that the server
couldn't read it.

Andy

P.S. As far as OS differences, there are some relative to group
permissions, depending on whether you adopt the BSD model or the SVR4
model. In practice, that should not matter if the files are owned by
the server.