	Hi Andy

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 11:22 pm, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> In the xroot world, the server assumes that it owns all the files. This
> is normally a correct assumption.

yes, but we are testing stuff :-).

> The problem here is that file somehow
> has managed to get group read only and the server is not a memebre of the
> group.

No, the server is a member of the group. It is run by the user who owns the
file and who is also member of the group that has read access to the file. At
least under linux, access to the file is denied if I as the owner have no
read access but my group has read access.

> You are correct that StatGen
> should be return the true permission relative to the server. However, the
> more pointed question is how the file got into the state that the server
> couldn't read it.

In a perfect (xrootd-only) world this should not happen, which IMHO means it
will happen in the real world, even if we were just setting up a provocative
test case to check that our xrootd client software returns the correct
permissions.

	Cheers,

		Andreas