---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:23:40 +0100
From: Kors Bos <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Ian Hinchliffe <[log in to unmask]>,
     Alexei Klimentov <[log in to unmask]>, Pavel Nevski <[log in to unmask]>,
     Stephane Jezequel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: disk space needed for AODs

Dear Tier-1 coordinators,

The replication of the AOD files to the ATLAS Tier-1's has started. An average
AOD file is 0.250 MByte.

At this moment we have 20 Million fully simulated events already generated and
7 Million events still in the queues and some more are expected to be
submitted, So the whole sample will be of the order of 30 Million events. So
this amounts to 7.5 TByte of AOD data.

We also have 15 Million single particle events generated and another 3 Million
and the queues and some more coming. So for the single particle events we
should count on 20 Million events. However the AOD files of those events are
much smaller, of the order of 10 kByte. So this amounts to 200 GByte of data.

As we decided that the full AOD sample will be replicated to all Tier-1's we
must count on ~8 TByte of disk space is needed over the next 4 to 6 weeks at
each Tier-1. Moreover if one other full copy of the AODs be replicated over the
Tier-2's within a cloud, those Tier-2's have to reserve disk space according to
the fraction they are signed up to.

These are the numbers to the best of our knowledge. They are not off by a
factor of two but not as good as 10%.

Kors