Renata Maria Dart wrote:

> Hi Charlie, here is a not-so-brief summary of our recent
> AFS experiences with BaBar:
> [...]

I thought I should add some comments about why we have not pushed
the use of read-only clones more heavily.

The AFS command to update read-only clones from the read-write
volume is 'vos release'.  This is a privileged AFS command and
the privilege is global, that is, it is not attached to particular
volumes: if you've got this privilege, you can vos release any
cloned volume in the AFS cell.  (IIRC, the same privilege allows
you to run opther privileged vos commands.)

We have a SLAC-written wrapper, 'vos_release', for the native
AFS command that allows AFS package maintainers to do vos releases
for the volumes in their packages.  The authorization scheme for
this wrapper makes use of our naming conventions for package
volumes and for the AFS groups in package space.  However, AFS
group space is much less regular than package space, and our
simple wrapper would scale well if we tried to provide
fine-grained authorization for vos releases in group space.
What we are currently looking into for BaBar is to define a single
AFS group whose members would be able to do a vos release for any
cloned BaBar volume (all such volume names begin with 'g.bbr').
We have also asked that BaBar keep the number of people in the
AFS group small (e.g., 5-10).

With this sort of scheme, you probably only want to clone volumes
that change infrequently.  This, coupled with the need to have
clones on all parent volumes, implies constraints on how the space
is organized.

I hope that helps clarify (and not obscure ;-) some of the issues.