Renata Maria Dart wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Young, Charles C. wrote:
>
>> Hi Renata,
>>
>> Thanks! I have a stupid question of what is AFS and what is NFS in this context. Our work space is
>>
>> 	/afs/slac/g/atlas/work/<something>
>>
>> Where <something> can take you to one of several NFS servers, e.g.
>>
>> lrwxr-xr-x    1 YANGW    root           27 Oct 18  2006 a -> /nfs/sulky51/atlaswork.u1/a/
>> lrwlrwxr-xr-x    1 gowdy    root           25 Feb 13  2006 n -> /nfs/surrey14/atlas
>> work/n/xr-xr-x    1 gowdy    root           25 Feb 13  2006 c -> /nfs/surrey13/atlaswork/c/
>>
>> Is it a worry if my batch job writes directly to one of these areas (rather than to local disk and copy at end of job)? Cheers.
>>

> Hi Charlie, yes the same concerns apply to writing to nfs space.  [...]

BTW, this is an example where some reorganization and addition
of some cloned volumes may save you a bottleneck later on.
Currently, /afs/slac/g/atlas is the mount point for a 500MB
RW volume and /afs/slac/g/atlas/work is the mount point for a
5GB RW volume.  However, the only thing currently in
/afs/slac/g/atlas/work are the one-letter symlinks to the various
NFS servers hosting the actual Atlas users' work space.  The path
to users' work space is quite static, and ideally you'd like it
to be entirely in RO, and possibly replicated, volumes.  However
that huge "work" volume is a tempting place to add lots of other
highly volatile RW directories.  A very actively written directory
in this volume could slow down access to every Atlas user's work
area.  Moreover, it doesn't do you can't clone the work volume
unless you also clone the top level g.atlas volume.